Having a peaceful mind and a peaceful spirit has truly helped me navigate through some stressful times in my life. The times I felt overwhelmed, overworked, tired, and confused I had to step back and take a look at all the things that were on my plate and at all the labels I have worn over the years: (mom, student, employee, friend, cousin, sister, aunt, counselor, teacher, leader, etc.….) in looking at all of these things I decided to become more effective in my time management and learn to balance work and life. In doing so I came up with the Top 5 things that I focused on that help me have a more perSoulnal peaceful life.
Let me just ask you, do you feel overwhelmed? Do you feel like you need to add 2 more hours to the 24 hours you have in the day? Do you try and find time just to breathe and catch up on life? If you said yes to any of those questions, you are not alone. Try doing these 5 simple things to add balance and peace of mind to your life.
- Follow a daily schedule. One thing that will cause confusion, stress and anxiety is trying to manage your day without a written out schedule. You can work better and prioritize when you see what needs to be done. Utilize a daily planner app that you can download to your smartphone, or keep a calendar in your purse or briefcase. Trying to manage your day on memory is sure to create stress in your day.
- Commit to leaving work at work. How often do you sign off your work computer but find yourself working on work once you get home? You can use that time for yourself. Try to manage your 9-5 during 9-5 and avoid interfering with the perSoulnal time for yourself. Learn to leave work at work.
- Make “NO” part of your vocabulary. It’s okay to say no. It’s okay to turn down that invite, it’s okay to say no, not this time, it’s okay to leave work at your regular scheduled time, it’s okay!!!! You are in control of your agenda and peace of mind. Give yourself permission to take charge of your life. Try saying no, see how it feels to put yourself first.
- Learn to ask for Help. Have you ever had so many things going on that you felt you needed an assistant? Have you ever wanted to ask for help but thought it would be quicker and easier to just do it yourself rather than go through the work of explaining how to do it to someone else? Do you feel like it would be a burden to others if you asked for their help? Asking for help is a way of taking control of your life. Asking for help does not diminish who you are or what you are capable of doing. When you ask for help you are letting others see how you effectively manage your life and how you balance your life. You will be surprised at those people who are willing and ready to help you out.
- Clear out the clutter. I have found that when my work space or home is cluttered with mail, books/magazines, notes, junk, stuff etc.… it prevents me from thinking clearly and from having inner peace. Clearing out your perSoulnal space allows for your thoughts to flow better, you can perform and work better when your space is clean and clear. Don’t hold on to old things from last year, donate, reorganize and trash the garbage.